Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, October 12, 2009

Sleep, Sugar, and School

I think we're on a roll. For the past four mornings Clay has slept until 6:45 or 7:00 am. I can't tell you how much more human that makes me feel. For the previous three weeks he was waking for the day between 4:00 am and 5:00 am. That is NOT human. It's not even light outside for another two and a half hours!!! On the especially bad days, like the one where I heard him talking to himself at 4:00 then crying to get up at 4:15, I felt as if I had just flown into my day on a red eye but had no 'I *heart* NY' t-shirt to show for it. On those days it was all about the Baby Einstein DVDs and the 'repeat play' setting until the coffee pot finished its cycle and I could get the liquid ambition into my bloodstream. I'm sure it had something to do with the whole transition from one nap to two but boy... what a doosey.

With the new wake time Clay is acting more refreshed and noticeably happier. Typically he gets a surge of energy after he eats a meal but he's still relatively mellow. Today we were in the market where the bakery gives out a free cookie to the little ones. Today Clay got a shortbread cookie with chocolate on it - DELUXE! The cookie disappeared under 30 seconds with a cascade of crumbs down his sweater vest. Then...the Tasmanian devil took over. I am not kidding, it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. The mellow Clayton I'm used to began shaking the cart like a caged animal. He got to his feet and wouldn't sit down. He insisted on getting out of the cart and rearranging the items on the lower shelves. Even the checker commented - 'He's really happy today'. When we got home I turned him loose and we had a 20 minute 'dance party' to burn off the sugar. WOW!

Today was picture day at our Mommy & Me class. We laughed because it seems navy blue vests with khaki pants was the way to go for many of the little boys.



After breakfast this morning Clay climbed into his chair with his puppy blanket to read about the adventures of Curious George.



Using a paper towel roll as a prosthetic limb.



Cub and Da-da time...



Playing all on his own at Evenstar Park.




Happy hour playdate at our house last Friday. The kids loved the dirt (Selah is eating a muffin).



Clayton has made our robes his own. We hang them up each night and each morning he opens the closet and pulls them down.

1 comment:

lhassler said...

Ok, seriously? 4 a.m. Man, when Aurelia when through that phase, we let her scream for 2.5 hours, for about 4 days straight and finally she went back to her 7 a.m. beat. You are a superhero. I can't imagine.