Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 19, 2008

What a Difference Three Weeks Makes

I started writing this post last week and I’m just now getting the chance to finish it since Clay’s decided to take a little five o’clock nap.


At two weeks...




A little faux hawk action...



At three weeks...He certainly looks like Dave in this pic.


The days that followed our return home from the hospital started off euphoric, I was so excited that Dave and I had joined the parenting club and was anxious to introduce him to everyone who had also been waiting for his arrival. I didn’t really seem to mind getting up so often but it soon became clear that this ‘new job’ was more than 9-6. The ‘slow burn’ as my brother-in-law warned set in quickly and I had no idea it would be as draining as it was to be up and taking care of this little one every two hours during the night. Luckily my mom and Dave were a lot of help in the day time hours. I kept the hope that my friends Amy and Malinda were right that at 3 weeks things would change and at 21 days I noticed something was different. Last night Clay slept five hours straight and went back for three and a half more. Just to ease my conscience I took him to the doctor on Wednesday to be weighed and he’s gained back his birth weight plus two ounces so he’s getting enough nourishment on breastfeeding alone. And for the first time tonight I actually made dinner for us! This is going to be doable, I hear it only gets better as Clay becomes and little more predictable. I’m really amazed at what a difference three weeks makes.

2 comments:

ColtysMama said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! He's gorgeous! and I LOVE his name!

marcia

lhassler said...

Keep at it, my friend. It does get easier. But, be prepared for some more difficult weeks thrown in. It's God's way of keeping us guessing, I think.